1309 N 9th St
The Longmire Home
Dr. Arthur Carroll Scott, Jr., son of one of the founders of Scott and White Hospital built the tall, stately two-story house in 1932. Dr. Scott, considered the father of the modern Scott and White Hospital and Clinic (known now as Baylor Scott & White Health), invested much of himself in the construction of the impressive home. He eventually drew the final house design plans himself and inspected the construction site after work each day. Despite thoroughly investing himself in building the new home, another project soon caught his eye, and in 1936 Dr. Scott sold his “creation” to Dr. Victor and Ruth Longmire. Dr. Longmire was Chief of Staff and Head of Internal Medicine at Scott and White Hospital. He was well-regarded in the Temple area as a skillful physician and community benefactor. Mrs. Longmire was long admired for her unwavering commitment to various projects within the community. The Longmire family made the 1309 North 9th Street home a warm and comfortable retreat for family and friends for 47 years until Jimmy and Madelon Carroll bought and lovingly restored the home in 1983. The medical, legal, educational, and business professionals who have been residents in Longmire home dedicated themselves to the cultural and economic betterment of their neighborhood as well as to the City of Temple.